134: What is my campus username?
Your Mines username is a unique identifier that will be used throughout your stay at Mines to log into your various campus computer accounts, and as part of your campus email address (e.g., email@example.com). One username will be used for all our various systems, though some systems may use different passwords.
In March 2015, a new system was put in place to allow the use of a single username and password combination for Windows labs, Linux labs, the Trailhead portal, email, the OrgSync student portal, and more. This universal login credential is called "MultiPass." Over time, more and more Mines computer accounts will be brought into the MultiPass universe. Your MultiPass may be managed at https://identity.mines.edu.
Incoming students and employees will be sent instructions for creating a new MultiPass account before arriving at Mines. Students and employees who left Mines prior to March 2015 and are returning after a long absence will be able to recover their old username.
More about Mines usernames
- Historically, campus usernames were composed of your first initial followed by up to seven characters of your last (family) name.
- Some usernames deviated from that formula in order to avoid duplicates.
- Under the new MultiPass system implemented in March 2015, incoming Mines students and employees are able to choose their usernames themselves and will have more flexibility in choice of username. Once you choose a username, it is very hard to change it to something else (impossible, in fact, under most circumstances). So choose carefully.
- Your Mines email address will be your Mines username followed by @mines.edu. (If you are a student, the format firstname.lastname@example.org will also work, but there are advantages to using simply @mines.edu. Please do.)
- If you forgot your campus username, please submit a Mines Help Center "Helpdesk" support request (http://helpdesk.mines.edu) so we can look it up for you.
Campus username changes: If you have made a legal name change and would also like your campus username to be changed, first submit your name change information to the Registar's Office (students) or the Human Resources office (faculty and staff). Then submit your username change request to CCIT via a Mines Help Center request (http://helpdesk.mines.edu).